NEW: Voice Recordings
Capture your experiences using your own voice. Lifecraft can automatically transcribe your words and save them to a journal entry.
- Create/select a journal entry.
- Tap the More button (···) at the top of the journal entry and choose Record Audio. Or tap the microphone button that appears above the onscreen keyboard.
Learn more: Voice Recordings
- If journal entry text contains images, drawings, audio, emotions, the summary text that appears in the Entry List now shows [image], [drawing], [audio], [happy], etc. This makes it easier to search for entries that contain certain media/emotion types.
- The Timer (see More button) sounds automatically output to Bluetooth headphones if connected. Otherwise, they output to the iPhone/iPad speaker.
- Fixed an issue when selecting Day One import files.
- Fixed an issue with the Quote text style.
- Fixed an issue related to journal Entry Templates.
IMPROVED: Navigating Journal Entries
Viewing older journal entries is much faster thanks to the improved calendar. Select a date and the entry list instantly shows the matching entries.
Learn more: Calendar View
NEW: Entry Date Control
To view/change a journal entry's date, choose Entry Info > Date. There’s a new “inline” date control that makes changing the date much easier.
Improved support for iOS 15.
The Share feature allows you to "clip" text, links, photos in other apps and add them to Lifecraft. When you tap the Share button in another app (e.g. Safari, Photos, News) and select "Lifecraft", a Share window will appear. The Share window now displays all of your journals and entries. You can choose to save the clipping as a new entry or add it to any existing entry.
Learn more: Share Extension
Lifecraft is built on an industrial-strength, encrypted database. Lifecraft's Realm database has been upgraded to version 10, which is both smarter and faster.
Lifecraft's text features makes writing in your journal very easy. But there's something magical about handwriting and drawings in a journal. Now you can have the best of both worlds: use the Drawing feature to insert handwriting or sketches anywhere in your journal entries. Or add a photo to your entry text and doodle on top of it.
Learn more: Drawings
IMPROVED: Photos in entry text
Photos inserted in journal entry text use ten times less memory and load much faster.
- Touch and hold a photo to open a preview. A menu will also appear: it includes options such as the ability to resize the photo smaller.
- Movies can now be inserted in journal entry text.
- Several improvements to the built-in photo viewer. It displays all photos in the entry text and photos are easier to delete. The viewer can be dismissed by swiping down.
Learn more: Photos & Movies
- Improved the Share Extension window, which is used to create journal entries from content (text, URLs, etc.) in other apps.
- iPhone: a “selection bar” may appear at the right side of an entry in the entry list view. This indicates the entry that was last selected. Being able to see which entry was most recently selected makes it easier to navigate the entry list.
- Fixed a problem where the font could change if the cursor was placed immediately after a photo in the entry text.
- Fixed entry text color issues when switching from a light theme to a dark theme or vice versa.
- Fixed a problem where the text view in a new journal entry would "shift" to the left if the text view was empty.
- Fixed some text positioning issues.
Fixed some issues related to checklists, numbered/bulleted lists.
List numbering is more reliable and copying & pasting list items works better.
The app was crashing when a video was added to an entry - fixed.
Tags are now easier to edit.
NEW: Emotion charts
Lifecraft can help you discover what's trending in your emotional life through the new emotion charts. You can see how your emotions change from hour to hour, or over the course of days, weeks, months or even years. There are 4 emotion chart types: Mood, Line, Bar, Column. See Emotion Charts
Multiple emotions can be added to a journal entry. Emotions can be all-day or timed with optional start/end times. Emotions are assigned intensities (Low, Medium, High, Extreme). See Adding Emotions.
REMOVED: the Emotions View
The Emotions View that was in the previous version is no longer necessary with the new emotions system. If you recorded any emotions in the Emotions View, those emotions are automatically converted to journal entries. See Emotions View (obsolete).
NEW: More button
A More button (···) appears at the top of the Journal Entry/List views. The More view makes it easier to perform common journal-related tasks (create a new entry, delete the current entry, open the emotion charts, get a journal writing prompt, insert photos, etc.) See More Button.
NEW: Journal entry linking
Added the ability to link journal entries together: choose More (···) > Copy Link to Entry. Then paste the link into a different entry so you can quickly navigate back to the original entry. See Entry View.
NEW: Journal writing prompts
Added many new journal writing prompts: choose More (···) > Prompt. Added support for Zee emojis. See Writing Prompts.
IMPROVED: Photos in entry text
If you insert a photo into the journal entry text, you can now tap the photo to open it in the photo viewer.
IMPROVED: Bulleted lists
A bulleted list can be started by typing an asterisk (*) at the start of a line.
FIXED: Lots of stuff!
Lifecraft is now more reliable and easy to use.
- Fixed several issues related to journal entry dates and time zones. Journal entries always display the original date & time, even when viewed in a different time zone.
- Fixed an issue that made it difficult to select text or tap links.
- Fixed an issue where the cursor would sometimes go behind the keyboard.
- Dates and times in journal entry text are no longer automatically turned into links.
- If multiple challenge actions appeared simultaneously, only one could be checked off.
- User-created challenges weren’t always checked off correctly.
- Multiple user-created challenges can be selected in the macOS version to make it easier to delete them.
- Lifecraft can now sync to iCloud in the background. Fixed issue where the password entry view would sometimes appear when opening Lifecraft (even though the Password Lock feature wasn’t enabled).
- The email links (for sending feedback, etc.) now work with non-Apple email apps.
- Many other bug fixes and improvements...
A recent change to the App Store prevented Lifecraft from being able to verify the Lifecraft Pro subscription for some users. This version adds a workaround to that issue.
If Lifecraft isn't recognizing your subscription:
- Force quit Lifecraft and re-open it.
- Open the App Settings and tap Explore Lifecraft Pro.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap Restore Purchases.
If you continue to experience problems related to your Lifecraft Pro subscription, try the suggestions in this article: Subscription Help
NEW: Zee EMOJI with 40+ expressions
Zee has been given a facelift! With more than 40 different expressions, you'll always know how Zee is feeling when you're reading your daily Compass message.
IMPROVED: Interface for writing prompts and jokes
Writing prompts and jokes now appear in their own window instead of the main Journal view. This makes the interface cleaner and easier to use.
Previously, if a custom font was applied to some text in a journal entry, the font would be reset as soon as the Return key was pressed - fixed.
NEW: Quote list type
You can use the new Quote feature to highlight text: a colored bar will appear to the left of the text. To apply a quote:
- Place the cursor anywhere in a paragraph (you don't have to select any text).
- Click the Aa button at the top of the journal entry to open the Font panel (shortcut: cmd-T).
- Click the Quote button in the List section.
Alternatively, you can choose Format > Quote or type "> " at the beginning of a line to start a quote.
IMPROVED: Journal Entry Templates
You can create your own journal entry templates (see Entry Templates). This version of Lifecraft fixes a number of issues in order to make the entry templates more useful.
Previously, the first character in a list item wouldn't be capitalized by default. That problem is now fixed.
A recent change made by Apple caused some problems with entries that include photos. Some photos embedded in the entry text would appear "faded". This version of Lifecraft fixes that problem. If any of your journal entries exhibit this problem, you should re-add the affected photos to the entries.
Fixed some display issues when the app is using the dark "Conrad" theme.
NEW: Text Styles
Format your journal entries with different heading styles. Styles include Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3 and Body. To change a line to a heading:
- Place your cursor anywhere on a line (you don't have to select any text).
- Tap the + button above the keyboard to show the text tools.
- Tap the H button and select a heading style.
NEW: Typography Settings
Choose whether your journal entries start with a heading or body text. Make your entries more readable by adjusting the line and paragraph spacing. These settings can be changed in Settings > Text.
NEW: Import Entries from Day One
You can now import your journal entries from Day One on your iPhone or iPad directly into Lifecraft. See Import from Day One for more information.
NEW: Automatic Lists
Rather than using the text controls to create a numbered/bulleted list, you can now simply type a number or bullet to automatically start a list.
Redesigned Media Browser
When you add photos/videos to a journal entry, they normally appear in the Media Gallery at the top of the entry (although you can choose to embed them in the entry text if you like). If you tap an item in the media gallery, a full screen Media Browser will open. The Media Browser has been redesigned to make it easier to use. To dismiss the browser, tap the X button or simply swipe up or down.
Inserting photos in your journal entries is now much easier. For example, you can copy a photo from another app and paste it directly into a journal entry.
JULY 20, 2019
NEW: Share Extension (for clipping content)
Use the Lifecraft "Share Extension" to clip content (text, links, photos) from other apps and save it in Lifecraft journal entries. Learn more...
NEW: Siri Shortcuts
With iOS 12 or later, Siri Shortcuts let you quickly do the most common tasks in Lifecraft with just a tap or by asking Siri. Learn more...
NEW: Separator Lines
You can now insert separator lines in your journal entries. There are 2 ways to insert a separator line:
- Open the text tools above the keyboard and tap the separator line button:
- Type 3 hyphens in a row.
JUNE 24, 2019
NEW: Compass Library View
You can now see ALL past Compass messages in the Compass Library view. New messages are added every day. The messages are sorted by topic and can be searched.
- Select the Compass view, then tap the Library button at the top of the screen.
- Select a Compass topic (e.g. "Friendship") or "All" to see a list of Compass messages.
- Select a message from the list (requires Lifecraft Pro).
- The Challenges icon in the main navigation bar will show a badge when new challenges are available (new challenges coming soon!)
- Challenges can be viewed in the free version of Lifecraft.
Timers & Stopwatches
Made it easier to manage a timer/stopwatch:
- To start a timer/stopwatch, tap the Activity Button at the top of a journal entry and choose "Start a Clock".
- To pause a timer/stopwatch, tap the clock display.
- To cancel a timer/stopwatch, tap the X-button that appears when paused:
- Audio files attached to journal entries play correctly.
- Various other improvements and bug fixes.
MAY 8, 2019
NEW: Viewing Older Compass Messages
You can view the daily Compass messages for up to 7 days after their release. So if you miss a day, you can still go back and read the message:
- Tap or swipe from the left side of the screen to open the Calendar view.
- Select a date in the Calendar view.
The Compass message for that date will appear (if it's within 7 days).
MAY 5, 2019
Version 2.2 includes:
- Frost (default)
- Conrad (dark)
- Hemingway (vintage)
More themes will be added over time. Some themes require Lifecraft Pro.
To change the theme:
- Tap Dashboard at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the Settings button in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Select Themes.
Alternatively, tap the main view title (Compass, Challenges, Emotions, Journal, Dashboard) and select Themes in the window that appears.
NEW: 130+ Journal Icons
To change a journal icon:
- Press and hold a journal name, then tap Change Icon.
- OR swipe a journal name to the LEFT ⇠ and tap the edit (pencil) button.
This feature requires Lifecraft Pro.
FIX: Improved Compass/Challenge Messages
Some users haven't been able to see messages in the Compass and Challenges views. This should now be fixed.
FEBRUARY 27, 2019
Lists (bulleted, numbered, checklists)
To add a list to your journal entry, tap one of the list buttons that appear above the keyboard (if you don't see the buttons, tap the + button). The left side of the text can also be indented.
Journal Entry Templates
Journal entry templates can now be assigned to specific journals. For example, you can create a template specifically for your Work journal and a different template for your Food journal. When you create a new entry in either journal, the appropriate template will automatically be used. Read more here: Entry Templates
Hide Navigation Bar
If you find the app too complicated, you can choose to hide the navigation bar that appears at the bottom of the window:
This will make the interface simpler so you can focus on the content. You can toggle the navigation bar in Settings > General > Hide navigation bar.
How do I change views when the navigation bar is hidden?
Tap the main view title. For example, in the Journal view, tap "JOURNAL", then select a view from the window that appears:
Article is closed for comments.